Thursday 14 March 2019

A Wild Day

What a blustery few days we have had, Storm Gareth left as quickly as it came but caused chaos on its way.  28 of the 28 routes were cancelled or disrupted on the ferries and flights were also cancelled.  Repairs have begun in earnest now that it has slowed down.  The outbuilding window has been boarded up for now and will get refurbished along with the others when the weather picks up.

We had hospital appointments to attend so it was quite the drive to Stornoway both on Tuesday and Wednesday.  We had lunch at the Castle on Tuesday, a nice treat and a lovely stroll both around the castle and the attached museum.  Let me take you a whistle stop tour of the castle.  There is so much to see but for me the ceilings and lighting are spectacular.









The fireplaces are also a joy and have been restored beautifully.





It looks as if this particular room was been set up for a wedding, or an event anyway.  The panelling in this room is stunning.



Along with the views, even better when the metal work has been taken down.  There is some work going on in the grounds.  On a nice day, I am betting it would be a feast for the eyes.



The stairs (Wilson Staircase) lead up to the bedrooms, a lift is also available but it does make you wonder who has walked the stairs before you.




I must say we enjoyed another beautiful meal there and have plans to try the afternoon tea  when we have visitors next month.

The sea was raging and thrashing itself along the shoreline.  The crashing and frothy sea made for some amazing photos.  I could see for myself why the ferries were cancelled.




It has certainly been a wild few days on the Isle of Lewis but we wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  Today the sun is shining in between downpours of rain, the winds have now dropped so repairs and tidying up commences.

What is the weather like in your neck of the woods?

As always I thank you for your comments.  The recipes that I use are all easily available on the internet for my baking usually Jamie Oliver or Mary Berry.  I am a fan of the Hairy Bikers too, the pork I cooked at the weekend is a firm favourite pork fillet wrapped in bacon stuffed with apricot and ginger stuffing.  A warm welcome to a new follower I do hope you find something of interest and enjoy my little adventures through life.

See you soon.

31 comments:

  1. It is very wild here in North Wales too but bits of sunshine as well.I am sat in the conservatory listening to the wind howling but feeling nice and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful ceiling photos in the castle, very reminiscent of Wedgwood!
    I think it would be an ideal place for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Lorraine! That castle is stunning! I can see why you are particularly fond of the ceilings and the lighting. I am too and I have only seen them in photos which I’m sure don’t do them justice. I’m glad you safely weathered the storm, and I hope there’s a bit of a break for you all now. It has been a rough week hasn’t it? Take care my friend. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou I needed a day out enjoyed visiting this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very wild winds here too in the middle of the USA. Loved your pictures of the castle and the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sea looks wild! It's still very blustery here and is forecast to be so for the next few days too. The castle is stunning, I can see what you mean about the ceilings and lighting, absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We still have wind. Apparently there is another storm - Hannah - on its way. Loved the castle pics. Also the sea of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos, all!!!! The castle and the sea!!!

    Sorry for your damage.

    IG was down, so have not yet checked on my friend in Ireland.

    ✨ 😊 ✨

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for all the pictures , I will never see it but loved every one

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you were able to weather the storm and still enjoy a visit to the castle.. I'd love to see a photo of the exterior.. what a beautiful interior!! Enjoy your visitors next week. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad the storm passed by. We often have ferry cancellations because of high winds, too. Tea at the castle sounds lovely. The dark blue ceiling with the stars is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A friend was stuck on Mull. Evause of the weather but fortunately was visiting friends so no problem with a bed for the night. Love the sea photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The castle is beautiful especially the ceiling. The photos of the sea are wonderful. Hope you get some calm weather to do your repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sea is a wild one! Spending time in a castle in a windstorm sounds like a terrific idea. Sturdy walls and roofs must have blocked out the storm very well. Tea time in a castle sounds like a good plan, too. You’ll have to test it out before you take guests, don’t you think? 😉 The weather is improving slightly, though it snowed overnight. My garage door was stuck in the ice today with my car inside. That wasn’t good. 🙃

    ReplyDelete
  15. The castle interior is lovely. The plastered ceilings are so intricate and look like fine china. How nice to have a meal there! And now to have tea with friends will be wonderful after your wild stormy weather has passed. We've had a windy day that required extra pins on my line of sheets. Sunny skies have made for a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the guided tour. Such beautiful places in every corner of the world. It's rain and high winds here- keeping a lookout for tornadoes. I assume that by the chair set up they host weddings? Wouldn't that be a lovely setting?

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for the photos and the walkabout! our weather is slowly turning to spring (yay) Today was around 55 degrees - I'm sure it's short lived but I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those ceilings are so beautiful, I enjoyed my armchair tour with you.

    We have had quite strong winds today but no damage.
    I think they are now talking about Storm Hannah approaching parts of the UK over the weekend!

    Stay warm and safe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful photos - those ceilings are amazing.
    I'm afraid we sent you those storms and high winds - about 10 days ago the city was under a watch as winds were approaching hurricane force and it was bitterly cold.
    We finally hit 10C today!!!! Warmest it's been since November. However, it is to drop down again and we may even get some more snow so no one is packing away the boots or parkas just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow! what a beautiful castle!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The ceilings in the castle are just amazing. And that staircase!!!
    The weather here is beginning to get more seasonal and I'm hoping the ground will soon be thawed. Almost no snow left now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with you that the ceiling is something worth our attention, including the staircase too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - really stormy. Love those ceilings!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What fabulous ceilings! Wind, wind and more wind, it just keeps going on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stunning photos. Those ceilings are amazing! The sea looks a bit choppy! Still very windy, cold and wet here. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you were able to tackle the storm damage. Quite a task in the strong winds, I imagine. The castle interiors are wonderful with beautiful wood, plaster and iron work. It's still windy here too. There was a whistling sound around the bedroom window frames in the night! Hope it calms down soon, but especially for you island folk.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This place is so beautiful ☺

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great pictures ! Inside and outside ;)
    Have a quiet weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for all the wonderful photos of the castle and the crashing waves! I am glad you weathered the storm safely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, those ceilings! I'm also glad that you weathered the storm safely, what a place you live in! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those are spectacular photos. Look at that water. It is sunny and mild today in Southern California.

    ReplyDelete