Thursday 4 January 2018

Thrift Shop Finds

I have had a busy few hours finally sorting out the craft supplies that I bought whilst away.  We are still taking down the Christmas decorations and trying to get back to some normality.  All the Christmas linen and throws have been washed and are now hanging on an airer in the bathroom.  The china, cutlery and some ornaments are waiting to be boxed back up.  I find it so much easier to decorate than I do packing away but needs must so it will be completed today.  A good clean of the cottage is the order of the day for tomorrow.

From England I came back with all the wool that I needed for projects later on in the year, along with wadding for Hectors quilt and a wide selection of cotton threads.  The wool was one of the promotions in Aldi and seemed perfect for the projects I have in mind.


One of my biggest joys is having a mooch around Thrift stores whilst in America.  There are a couple in Mount Dora that never fail to delight.  I am always amazed at the bargain prices and bring back as much as I can.  I have several Christmas projects already organised, so these are a wonderful addition.


This was a Santa door panel for $2.


This a swinging Santa holder, enough to make 4 for $5.


Crochet cotton for 25 cents per ball.



A wonderful array of vintage crochet patterns 10 cents each.


Sewing patterns for 25 cents each.


Finally some felt ornaments to make, complete with all the necessary threads and such to make them, a real bargain at $1 each packet.  I thought they would make beautiful toppers for my gifts for this year.  I love it when I find a bargain and am delighted when I can add to my collection for such small amounts.  I spend many a happy hour browsing patterns and wondering who has used them and worked on them before me.  Imagining the finished products and how much pleasure they bring.  I have saved money and helped to recycle things that would otherwise have gone to landfill so I am pleased with myself.  Have you had any great finds recently?

See you soon.





24 comments:

  1. Such amazing American finds! I need to get back into craft mode now the festivities are over. Need a good sort out of craft boxes too.... Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made quite a haul! Looking forward to seeing what you make with all your supplies. I wish I could say I've started putting away Christmas, but I'm dragging my feet and calling it "Winter" decor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh what lovely things you found.
    My only charity shop buy recently was a huge pile of sewing magazines for £5. They were older ones but had some good hints and tips in them.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful finds! I used to find similar bargains in Minnesota and it was fun, but in South Carolina, no such luck. Those Santas and angels will look so cute on presents next year and it will be fun to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on the thrift shop finds! I also love browsing through them.. and mostly love antique shops with really old stuff. Enjoy your week! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful lot of thrifty finds! I don't usually find too many where I am. I have better luck at the garage sales in the Spring. I'm determined to go to a few this year. I do seem to have luck when I'm in England at the charity shops. There's a great one in Felixstowe I go to that always has a great lot of craft magazines. If only weight and suitcases didn't matter when flying lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You find some really great things at those thrift stores and I know it must have been fun going through it all after you returned home. I always get way more joy out of putting up the decorations than in taking them down...only getting them down takes way less time. It always feels good to me to get he house back in order at the first of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so organized and set with your new finds. I know your family and friends will love what you have planned. It's thrilling to me to browse about thrift stores and find treasures. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did find some great things at the thrift stores. I usually manage to find some crochet cotton but not much else. Those kits in particular are a wonderful bargain. Now we will have the pleasure of seeing all of your creations.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. You found amazing bargains and the best thing is that you already have ideas what you'll make with them.
    Isn't it true that putting away all the Christmas things is not nearly as fun as getting them out was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you, Lorraine, that thrift store finds you can use are great deals and it looks like you found some wonderful bargains. I'm sure you will put your creative talents to work and be showing us what you've done with these. I like when I find great deals that I can use as gifts and have managed to find quite a few of these. For me, this is better than shopping in a store and many of the items I've found have been better quality as well, a win-win outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You founds some great bargains and a lot to keep you busy. Im with you it is a lot more fun to put decoration out then put them away. I alway buy a few more too Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. That'll keep you busy till next Christmas! How fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great bargains, and you're already organised for next Christmas, a win win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great finds and so cheap, I'm always amazed at how cheap American thrift stores are. I only found this out through fellow bloggers as I've never been. I love it that you looked for things to create with too, happy crafting. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You did well! We don't have charity shops around here so it is one of my joys when travelling.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. you had quite the successful shopping day! lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE those ornaments - and at $1 WOW! Good Deal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice finds! I need to pull out the fabric that's a pattern and make the Christmas apron I bought a few years ago on a vacation! I don't remember it til too late. Will see what I can make this year with yarn and fabric that I have. Saving money is a good thing. I also snag a few items when on a trip somewhere that someone could use for a gift or sale items. Blessings for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need to find some better thrift shops by me. Those are great finds. Especially the felt kits. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have some great finds. I would imagine lots of people, myself included, are sorting and donating some of their Christmas stuff at the moment that they no longer want. Looking forward to seeing the end products.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great finds at the US thrift stores. I have determined to not purchase any more craft/sewing supplies until I diminish some of the stuff I currently have. You are so productive, me, much less so.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did find some lovely things I never am that lucky and I live here! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete