Saturday 27 January 2018

Scenes From My Week

Midweek saw the sun come out and the temperatures rise so the perfect time to have a drive around our beautiful Island paradise.  We had nothing pre-planned but with camera in hand off we went on our tour around the West side of the Island.

First stop was a stone Sheiling, there are numerous ones scattered around on the moors, a seasonal dwelling that were lived in during the summer months when livestock was put to pasture.







Our next stop was Bragar where there is a whalebone arch.  It was erected by Murdo Morrisson a former postmaster.  The whalebone arch was formed using the jaw bones of a whale who had beached itself and died in Bragar bay.


We then went on to have a quick visit to a black house at Arnol and then on to  watch the waves breaking on the rocks nearby.







Sadly, the wonderful weather didn't last a storm headed in and ferries were once again cancelled today.  That is the Western Isles for you changeable weather is part of its make-up.

I think one of the things that strike me the most about the Island is the majestic skies, the cloud formations are amazing.  The ever changing views due to the weather are a delight.




Hope you enjoyed our little tour.  The winds are now howling around our little cottage so we have banked up the stove and poured ourselves a glass of wine.  Cheers, hope you have a wonderful weekend.

See you soon.

29 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour , It looks amazing where you live now , I would panic about running out of something do you have a local shop just in case xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have a local store in the village, which sells just about everything you can imagine. The village also has a post office and pub. We have adapted very quickly and rarely run out of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scenery is so beautiful and you always find something interesting to look at. Keep warm and enjoy the rest of your weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I would have loved to be along on your tour. By enlarging the pictures I could read ( the English part) of the signs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun to see the old buildings and the wild areas by the ocean in your area. I wonder if you have any advice for people who are considering moving to a remote area as you've done?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always intrigued by the way people use whatever is at hand to construct fences and dwellings. So resourceful.

    Your island abounds with dramatic scenes which stir the imagination. If I were a writer, I could conjure up some great plots there, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buildings that look as if they could have been in use a 1,000 years ago. The whale arch was really different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice tour of your lovely island. I'm intrigued by the black house. Such an interesting roof with the rocks attached to the thatch. The huge whalebone arch is quite handsome. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would think the blackhouse must be quite insulated, warm and free of drafts inside when heated. There are houses that are of a similar concept in Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tour... your island is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful things you have to explore on your wonderful island! What a joy for you and your husband. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you have had a very good week visiting some really interesting places.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the tour! I've loved seeing all those old buildings and wonderful skies:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those buildings fascinate me. Thank you for sharing them.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for the tour, loved it. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lot you saw in one day! The skies are really so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Each time I visit your Blog I feel on holidays, What a beautiful landscape. I have made a tour around the whole UK until further up of Loch Ness and loved the Scottish highlands, your pictures remind me this beautiful tour we did. I wrote about it on my travel blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved your tour, thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your tour, it looks so peaceful xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. My friend,
    I so enjoy sharing your beautiful place with you!
    I may have missed it...did you ever say the name of the place you live?
    Sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You live in such a beautiful place. My husband and I love to look at the photos together and dream of our own retirement.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  22. can you imagine laying those stones by hand? I cannot. I love the inside of the door and it's burst of green :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice outing with you! I liked the whale bone. We've had rain most of the week. Sat and Sun were nice out so walks were taken. Cooler weather and rain ahead this week. Stay warm and have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for taking me along on your tour of the island. I find the stone buildings and whalebone very interesting. Lovely cloud formation. Keep warm and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed coming along to see these historical places, I love the stone buildings. Here we finally have a proper winter so more indoor time than I would wish.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very interesting tour,thank you.I love the scenery there so Beautiful.x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am struck by the lack of trees. I don't know whether I would enjoy living in such a treeless landscape, but I sure would like to visit!

    ReplyDelete