Monday 15 January 2018

Crafting With Friends

It is blowing a gale out there with winds of 60/70 mph.  Yesterday they were 70/80 mph causing all sorts of issues, not least the cancellation of ferries.  The freight ferry was cancelled to so the supermarkets will have some empty shelves shortly.  Thankfully, I have plenty of supplies and feel blessed that we are able to buy extra.  We have a wood fire burning in the stove throwing off a lot of heat so we are warm and cosy for which I am thankful.  At the moment there is a mixture of hail, sleet, snow and rain with a howling wind so not nice conditions to be out.

We have become avid weather forecast watchers so I was prepared for this turn in the weather and prepared some food for the inevitable power cuts.  I cooked a chicken for Sunday lunch so made a chicken and creamed leak pie using a potato topping with the leftovers. 


A spoonful of wholegrain mustard was added to the mash which makes it pop a little.  Vegetables were roasted in the oven in readiness for soup.   I find the flavour is intensified when the vegetables are roasted.  One tray of slightly soft tomatoes, red pepper, onion and basil.




The other tray, butternut squash carrot and onion.



Already for meals through the week, warming and nourishing.

Whilst the oven was on a banana and flaked almond bread was made and a tray of fruit scones.



There is some homemade jam but no cream I am afraid, we are trying to be a little careful.  

I had a wonderful craft session with friends over the weekend, experimenting with fabric paints.  I have some amazing stencils that I wanted to try out so it was good to share them.





Ann used the letter stencils onto fabric to make a gift for her Dad whose Birthday it is today.  She then went on to make a canvas bag for her Granny.  Christine also stencilled onto a canvas bag.  I loved the stencils and now have plans for making some onto boards to use as decor for my craft room.  Work has not started yet but I have hope that it will as soon as the weather picks up a little.



Ann is going to try card making next so I need to sort out supplies for that.   I need to make some cards, I have a several Birthdays coming up so it would be fun to have some company making them.

Wow, I have just looked out of the window and there is now bright sunshine, would you believe that...there is also an amazing rainbow that I have just tried to photograph with little success.  The beauty never ceases to amaze.

A very warm welcome to new followers I hope you enjoy my little adventures through life and as always a big thank you for your lovely comments.  






36 comments:

  1. A delicious, creative and cozy weekend ! Perfect !
    Have a nice week !
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Stencils, that means paint and for me that usually leads to a mess. But, I do fancy having a try at stamping, I will keep that on hols till the better weather and have a go outside first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your food looks delicious. Proper nourishing comfort food, perfect for this time of year. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope that the weather doesn't cause you too many issues, it is good that you are prepared with yummy things to eat and happy things to do with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks delicious! However, the scones - yum! I love combining crafting and eating...anything with eating really...Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely weekend. You can't beat cooking and crafting.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never thought about that I suppose the weather will always be a problem for the supermarket, but I am sure you will always be prepared. Your food looks delicious, I like the sound of a chicken pie with a mash topping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently there is worse weather to come with snow and gales forecast , You food looks delicious , We have to stock up for other reasons if it snows we cant dig the car out and always worry if we break down who is going push the car if that happens in the snow because we cant , So we stop in it was six days last time but it would be something i would put up with if i could live somewhere as beautiful as where you live xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like fun. You reminded me that I have a stack of barn siding I need to paint (stencils).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, the Scottish weather! I am glad you are getting used to it and that you are well prepared for all eventualities. Your meals look delicious. Crafting in good company is my idea of having a good time. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strong weather, it's good you're prepared. Would you post your recipe for the creamed leek and chicken pie, it looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your food all looks delicious. I'm glad you're able to stay in and be out of the elements while it's so stormy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so cozy and warm in your place. With wonderful food to carry you through the gales, you are all set. I've never thought of roasting my veggies before making soup--what a brilliant idea. The crafts your friends are making are great. Enjoy your day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such cozy things in your home during the stormy weather.
    I wish I could learn the cooking skills from you, my friend.
    Have a cozy day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wise of you to prepare ahead of time. Those are some strong winds! I can just imagine the smells and coziness of your home.
    Fun times with friends. I love crafting with other people since I spend so much time alone. Stay safe and warm.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. As usual, you amaze and inspire me with your industriousness. I'm just crocheting away on my Woodland blanket. Slow going! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those winds can really be something else that's for sure! Hope you all stay warm and keep your power. The food looks delicious and I'm like you I love to roast veggies :-) Really intensifies the flavor. Your crafting day looks like fun. Hope you are having a great day!

    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  18. Squash, carrot, and onion looks good for the cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Creative and cozy weekend with delicious food..

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mouth is watering. The only good thing about bad weather is having a warm cosy home to hunker down in, and you have prepared well mama. Spending time with crafting friends is time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have been cooking up a storm! pun not intended.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your weather can change fast, it seems. It's always good to be prepared as you are. I don't think I've ever used roasted veggies for soup but I'm going to try that.
    Keep warm and cozy in your lovely cottage!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a great fun weekend! Sounds like some wild weather. We had 14c temps one day and down to -7c the next. It's a wonder I couldn't get warm the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's been a long time since I've worked with stencils. I stenciled onto sweatershirts and tshirts when my children were younger with fabric paint. I'm glad you had friends over to enjoy stencils and tea! High wind but ya made it through! We had 2.5 days of lovely sunshine and high clouds. This afternoon it clouded up and got chilly. It's been raining on and off since I got off work this evening. I'm staying in instead of walking as I'm tired! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now that's some harsh weather you're having. Thankfully, you are well stocked with wonderful, healthy foods. I must try roasting the veggies for our next pot of soup. The warm, cozy wood fire and the howling winds all sound so like a story well told with a happy ending. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  26. You just need those warming dinners to keep you cosy in the snow and wind.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your weather sounds like ours here yesterday ! withe the difference that we are not living on an island. You are well organized to prepare for eventual electricity cuts ! Your plates look delicious ! A pity that I can't taste them through the screen,lol !

    ReplyDelete
  28. Everything looks very delicious. I like that banana bread.
    https://clickbystyle.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope the weather's better today, we've had sleet this morning but the sun's shining now, it doesn't know what it wants to do. How lovely to have friends to craft with, that banana bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never thought of roasting the veg for soup - what a good idea, thank you. I really don't mind howling weather as long as I know it's coming so that I can be prepared. I hope all is safe and well. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nothing to me is warmer than a stove fire to take away that bite of cold. Wow, your winds howling, I would sleep like a baby to that. Love those nature sounds. Those roasted vegetables are gonna be delish in a soup. Banana bread gives me an idea to make the same. Look forward to seeing your cards you make, those are adorable stenciled bags.
    Happy Week ahead - betsy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Roasting the veggies looks like a great idea for prep. I will be giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Crafting with friends is my favorite kind, especially when there are treats :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Next time there is a storm here I am heading your way so I can be fed properly. Your crafting day looks like wonderful fun.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Food and crafting, what a great combination!

    ReplyDelete