Saturday 12 December 2020

Christmas Decor

 Its beginning to look like Christmas.  Its beginning to sound like Christmas and it certainly smells like Christmas here in my cottage kitchen.  I have just made some mincemeat cupcakes, the smell of the mincemeat is permeating around.  Let me show you around and share some of my vignettes that hold so many memories of Christmas's past.  This is a small trunk we use as a coffee table.  A wooden stag platter is full with baubles each one telling its own story.  Sorry about the quality of the photos the light is not good.




There is anniversary baubles, along with a couple of Harrods baubles.  Our daughter Amie and I used to meet up when she was at university and go for afternoon tea each December.  It was always the ritual to go to Harrods where she would buy another bauble to add to the collection.  The telephone box was a token from when Victoria and I went on a shopping trip she was writing a review for a magazine.  The little ceramic Santa was bought at the airport at Sanford Florida to use up a whole load of coins I had accumulated over our holiday.  I don't mind bringing paper money back but am not keen on bringing too many coins.  Gerard and I have so much fun recollecting the memories and little stories behind each item.



As we move to the side of the house window, this is the start of our travels.  The nutcracker from Berlin, the plate depicting St Nicolas from Holland.  I also have a couple of blue/white baubles from Delft.  We have been any times both with our girls when they were small and our Grandchildren so many memories to reflect upon.  We are so thankful for the opportunities that we have been given over the years.  The front window shows one of our favourite features that reminds us of Gerard's mum an old pottery Santa.  It was one of her cherished Christmas possessions so it is so nice to have him as part of our collection.



The fireplace is generally the focal point of our room as we use the stove and love the comfort of seeing the peat burn.  We are so blessed with good neighbours that are so generous with peat as gifts.  I love to decorate the mantel and try to make a different garland each year.  This year the basis of the garland was pinecones that had been strung together giving it a more natural feel.  I tried to pick out baubles depicting stags to give it a Scottish theme, it just needs a few tartan bows adding.






We have so much fun pulling out the decorations and remembering Christmas's past.  The table is another focal point as food seems to always feature when we have visitors.  So it is a delight to be able to get all the Christmas crockery out and make a display of it.



Again each piece telling its own story.  Very little matches but it doesn't matter the memories of each piece mean more than how it all looks together.  As you may have noticed there are glass bowls and vases strategically placed around the room holding lights in case of a power cut.  Equally it does look nice in the evening with the twinkly lights.  Candles too are dotted around, which are also a real delight.





A cake stand used to display some baubles as well as lights.  The winter scene baubles are from the first Christmas that Gerard and I had together so whilst a little tatty they are still a great joy.  The cake stand form part of a small display under the main window using an old step ladder, a quilt and vintage bibles which have been well loved and used.




I hope you have enjoyed the start of my tour around the Christmas decor,  it is quite the journey .and may not be to everyone's taste.   For us it is a journey of our life together of our  experiences and opportunities.  The memories of loved ones and the excitement of the coming of the Lord.  Family heirlooms and recipes shared, love and laughter.  Traditions followed and new ones added.  Each year although unique building up to the same outcome the birth of Jesus Christ.  This year will be different for most as the pandemic is making even the simplest of tasks so hard.  All we can do is make the most of it and live in hope that the new year will bring better times.  The vaccine seems to be bringing a mixed response it was so nice to read your thoughts.  I will be back shortly to recommence the tour of our Christmas decor.

Take care and see you soon.


27 comments:

  1. So many memories in all of your decorations, it's like meeting up with old friends again each December when it comes to decorating for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely to have decorations that hold so many memories. Your mantel looks wonderfully festive:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so wonderful. We love everything about Christmas and also love to look at special ornaments and remember where we were when we bought them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are looking splendidly festive surrounded by all those good memories too. 🎅

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely and cozy. We are always prepared for power cuts even though we don’t get them often. We have an emergency one ring gas cooker and the wood burner as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely. next year pine cones love that look, especially when you forage for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your decorations are little memories. We have those too and as the children get older we like to look at their homemade decorations and remember going to toddler group to roll things in glitter! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a charming post. I very much enjoyed seeing your beautiful photos with all the Christmas decor. And the description of how the cottage smells is wonderful. I can imagine because nothing is going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's looking very festive and cosy at yours. I love how your decorations hold so many memories for you. X X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your home is looking delightfully festive. I especially like the pine cone garland that you made.
    I can imagine how cozy it would be to sit and enjoy a peat fire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Certainly, you have got the Christmas spirit. I finally put up a couple of small decorations on my front porch in case I have some unexpected callers (highly unlikely!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lorraine, I enjoyed the tour of your home all decked out for the holidays. I did a bit of putzing with mine today too. The extra lights and color is helping me try to keep a positive attitude. Stay safe... ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice remembering all the history behind Christmas decor that has been collected throughout the years. I find the ones from our parents are especially beloved like your ceramic Santa. Christmas is needed this year more than any other year in my lifetime. Blessings to you and Gerard during this Holy season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful festive decor! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed the tour of your house with sharing what items you still enjoy having in your house. I have yet to pull mine out and need to soon. Hope to get our tree up tomorrow. I doubt I will be getting the virus shot. I usually don't do shots any more, as I am good without it. Have a blessed weekend and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lorraine, what a wonderful post. I so enjoyed seeing your treasures and hearing about all of the wonderful memories associated with them. I especially liked seeing your Bibles in a prominent part of the room too.
    I think the thing I missed most about decorations and not having our tree this year was not being able to get out all of the decorations collected over the years from friends and our children. It doesn't feel "right" to me. I'm trying to focus more on the reason we're celebrating instead of what or who is missing this year.

    Will you and Gerard be vaccinated soon? I need to read up on how things are going in the UK as I have avoided news this week. Sometimes it just gets to be too much and so I become like an ostrich and bury my head in the sand to ignore the happenings.
    Wishing you and Gerard a peace-filled Sunday as we anticipate His birth.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your home looks gorgeous MM and so very festive. When the grandchildren were born I would buy them each a special tree bauble every year and, although I had to stop buying them last year when they ran out of space on the tree, they still put them on every year and reflect on the memories they bring back. I adore proper glass baubles but, unfortunately, no longer have room for a tree. I like your stag dish full of them, perhaps I could begin to buy a bauble a year again and just display them in a dish myself....thank you for the inspiration!

    Take care and stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post! There is so much to look at and certainly inspires me to get on with the Christmas decorating in my house. I particularly like Gerard's Mum's Santa....old style...beautiful! There treasure amoong treasure in all these photos! I think I need to go back and look again! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, what a great post. Its certainly looking a lot like Christmas at your house, I have bauble envy !

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks lovely. I'm sure all of your treasures bring back happy memories. I love the European decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How lovely to have such special treasures from all your travels, and the sweet memories to accompany them! What a delightful collection filled with joy! Your home exudes the happiness of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful Christmas decorations in your house. Lovely collections of treasures and they are so filled with beautiful memories. Now I have the feel of Christmas after visiting your blog. Have a great new week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woow, everything looks so beautiful and festive, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've gradually put out more treasured Christmas decorations and each one, like yours, is a reminder of when they were made, given or bought. Your cottage looks cozy and I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So nice to see all of your photographs.
    How lovely to have decorations that hold so many memories.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete