Wednesday 16 March 2022

Fun In All Weathers

 What a mixed bag we have had with the weather, storms one day bright sunshine the next a typical day in the Outer Hebrides.  A start has been made in the garden, a few moments at a time the bright sun lulls you into a false sense of security it is still quite cold.  The tyres have been cleared and are ready for future growth.  The rhubarb is already starting to unfurl its rich red stalks and pale green leaves, a lovely welcome to a sign of Spring a change of season and a shift in the weather cycle.  The mint is starting to poke through the soil, along with some of the other herbs.  We are making plans for the garden, always an exciting time of year.

Saturday saw me in the kitchen doing a mammoth bake for the freezer, a quiche, sausage rolls, egg custards to use up an abundance of eggs.  I also prepared a bolognaise sauce and a curry ready for the days we have hospital appointments.




I spent a few hours immersed in a project of dying some wool, what fun I have had.  I intend to crochet some flowers to make wreaths and a twig arrangement and needed some extra colours.  I want to use all Hebridean wool so dying some wool made this possible.



It was soaked in cold water along with vinegar for 20 minutes prior to adding the dye.  This was then heated until just before boiling and left to cool to room temperature.



A good rinse before it was hung up to dry.  I am looking forward to seeing the end result once it is crocheted up.  The colours are good with an even spread so I am quite pleased with it.  The bonus I had so much fun with and enjoyed the process.


I have once again pursued the experimenting with water colour paint.  This time a mixed media approach of painting, decoupage and sewing.  I had so much fun with it and will certainly be doing this style of art work again.







This is the back of one of them to highlight where I have used the sewing machine to stitch an outline.  I have been looking at other forms of mixed media and will let you know how I get on.  As always I thank you for your visit, support and comments.

See you soon.

24 comments:

  1. I'm in the south of England but I think we have Outer Hebridean weather this week lol
    Your dyeing looks great, its fun isn't it ? I tried it once - enjoyed the process but my results weren't great!
    Love your mixed media piece, they are fab
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dyed wool looks lovely, Lorraine, and you will most likely be making some beautiful creations with it. The mixed media experiments you showed with water colors were quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where oh where do you get all of your energy Lorraine? The baking all looks SO delicious. The wool is gorgeous and I'm so looking forward to seeing the crafts you make with it. And your artwork! It's so lovely. Just lovely. You have more talent in your little finger than I do in my entire body.
    What a blessing it is to call you my friend.
    We've bought our tickets to London next month. Our new little granddaughter should arrive any day now. I can't wait to meet her. :-)
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely the dyed wool looks, Lorraine. You will enjoy crocheting with it. You are so creative and I always enjoy seeing what you are up to. The mixed media pieces look like a lot of fun.
    All your baking sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous colours you've dyed the wool, it'll look great when knitted up. Your chickens are keeping you busy with all those eggs but now your freezer is all topped up for when you need a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a busy gal, Lorraine. It's nice to see all the baking all ready to be enjoyed later. The mixed media water colors are lovely. Are you going to frame them? Have a happy end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering looking at all your delicious baked goods! What wonderful meals you will have. Your projects are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend, if I could spend an afternoon with you in your lovely cottage, I would be so happy! You are so talented and I just know I could learn so much from you! Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dying the wool looks like a challenging but fun thing to do and the results are amazing. Your baking looks delicious and no doubt tastes wonderful. Baking is very rewarding.
    I love your mixed media artwork. You certainly have a gift for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been busy! Stocking up the freezer for those days when you have to attend medical appointments etc. is a good idea. I think the water colour painting must be relaxing and the wool project looks satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Give me a bit of your energy ! I am already tired when I read what you have been doing ! Good idea to cook in advance I did that with spaghetti sauce because 1 portion is the same work then 10 ! When I saw you wool dying it made me think of Spaghettis especially the yellow once, lol !
    Your paintings look very nice too !

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness, you have been very busy in the kitchen, and I love the water coloring and sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness those baked goodies are making me hungry. Dyeing wool is great fun and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always stay busy with the most interesting projects. Further, you are a good steward preparing your pantry and freezer for the future. Glad that the weather has calmed down some for you. We are all eager for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The food looks wonderful...oh my! And the wool is a collection of such pretty colors...what talent you have. Any ideas on what you'll turn it into?? Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Busy in the kitchen and with crafts !
    Lovely drawings and words...
    Have fun with your new colored wool !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  18. All that cooking looks scrummy, so good to fill the freezer and give yourself more time to craft! And I loved the colour your wool turned out as, clever you. I 'm still not able to do craft work but having a go in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You certainly keep nice and busy :)

    Your food looks delicious and I do like the colours of the wool you have dyed.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have been busy. The mega baking project would have tired me right out. Dying your own wool, amazing job, the colours are wonderful.

    Love the mixed media projects as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. YOu have been so busy! I love the pages. They are really beautiful and the wool...oh my! I know what you mean about the weather. Here in Michigan it can be winter in the morning and late spring in the afternoon. This time of year always makes me smile when I go out in my winter coat and gloves in the morning and by the afternoon everyone is in tee shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such beautiful work you've done with the journaling Lorraine, I just love it! And wow, the colors you dyed with the wool are beautiful! I'm sure you are now itching to create something with the wool once it dries! All that baking does make one feel so good... so nice to have meals ready to go for days when you don't have time to bake. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm just too happy that everything is in place for me now. I would gladly recommend the use of spell to any one going through marriage problems and want to put an end to it by emailing Dr Emu through emutemple@gmail.com and that was where I got the help to restore my marriage. WhatsApp +2347012841542
    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful work. You are so creative and productive.

    ReplyDelete