Thursday 10 March 2022

Bible Journaling

 Once again storms have hit the Outer Hebrides meaning more rain and wind not conducive for the great outdoors.  I can easily entertain myself indoors so I set up a little studio in the corner of the lounge.  This means that I didn't have to heat another room and that the stove was the main source of heat.  We have just had our oil tank filled and the bill was eye watering.  We are so thankful for the stove and as it is multi fuel it does make it easy but it only keeps one room warm.  I am trying to keep hopeful that the hike in oil won't last forever...

Anyway back to my cosy corner to share with you what has kept me busy.  This is Psalm 117 the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.  I did prepare the page using clear Gesso and I was pleased that the paint didn't leak through.  I am not sure if I painted it on a little too thick as the page wrinkled a little.  A round brush and watercolour was used.


Next up was  Numbers 6:25 May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.  I tried watercolour pencils for this which I quite enjoyed.  They did take a little getting used to it was hard to not using them as colouring pencils and just colour in the the lines but after a few attempts it got easier.


Romans 8:28 A simple crayon drawing.  I intend to go over the lettering as it is not standing out as much as I had hoped.


The next example is Romans 12:9-10 and was done using acrylic paint and a baby bud/Q tip it was fun experimenting with colour and how much pressure was needed.


This was a mixed media example Luke 18:14 Those who humble themselves will be exalted.  Both water colour paints and pencils.  I am never going to to be a great artist but I do like the process of Bible journaling and indeed studying the word.  It has been fun experimenting with different process's without having to spend a fortune on supplies.


Finally another watercolour paint with once again a layer of clear Gesso used to prepare the page prior to adhering the paint.  I really added lots of water so that I could paint without erasing the words.  Once again the page has creased a little so I do need to do some research to see why this is happening.  



I really have enjoyed the process and will certainly be eager to have another go.  The art element kept me focused on the study so was certainly worthwhile.  I intend to have a go with other mediums to see what else I can enjoy.  Thankfully the weather forecast is looking better for the weekend.  The numbers of Covid on the Island are increasing rapidly which is a little disconcerting.  We were so lucky throughout the pandemic that there were so few cases but it is certainly making up for it now.  Whilst we are not staying indoors we are still trying to stay as safe as possible and staying away from large groups once again.

See you soon.


26 comments:

  1. 'The word of God endures forever' - 1Peter 1:25

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea, and a great way to spend a wet and windy day. Using the different mediums would have been a great learning curve. The only time I've used gesso is to fill in gaps in a picture frame (still need to touch it up with paint now). I especially liked Psalm 117 - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Bible will be a thing of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely artwork you have created alongside of the Bible passages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your artwork is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bible journaling is so interesting and lovely. You've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so very talented! And I can't think of a cozier way to spend time indoors. Stay safe my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to think of you cozy in your home doing your crafts and art. "Eye watering" is an excellent way to describe the cost of oil. I really don't know how people are going to make it. May God have mercy on us all. And I know He will help us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't think that in the 21st century people would have to decide whether to eat or heat, it's disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty. I really like the watercolor pencils. I might have to try those. I am praying that peace can come to Ukranine and our leaders find a way to make life easier for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a beautiful way to dig deep with our reflections while reading the bible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so beautiful Lorraine. You have so much talent. I think it's wonderful that you can add your pretty artwork to the page and still be able to read your Bible. So lovely.
    The gas and diesal fuel costs are getting very high here too. We had planned to take the camper and go to Spokane this spring/summer but we aren't sure that will be possible. Dennis is definitely retiring at the end of March so our budget will have to change.
    I was looking at cottages on your island on Zoopla last night and dreaming. I know it's a dream, but wouldn't it be wonderful?
    Take good care and stay healthy you two. We'll add you and the rest of your fellow islanders to our prayers.
    Lots of love,
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your artwork alongside the passages from the Bible.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your artwork is beautiful. I love all the Bible verses you've chosen. You are very talented. Gas prices are high here too. Worst I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are really good at your artwork. Many are affected by the oil price hike. Hope it won't last. The number of cases here is also very high. We do go out and eat out. Like you, we avoid crowded places and try to stay safe as far as possible. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Take care of yourself.
    Putin's war eclipses the pandemic here... I took part in the relief effort at school. More refugees are coming every day... not like in Syria, where mostly young men came, which has upset the population - but women and children. Everyone is working flat out to help. May wise minds quickly end the war, lest there be more suffering.
    Your drawings are beautiful, we must preserve the beautiful.
    I'll start today with my pants - the sewing.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your journalling artwork is beautiful, such a lovely idea
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Bible artwork is beautiful and it's a good way to relax as you read the scriptures and meditate on God's Word.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sure that doing the artwork also helps you with reading your bible, Lorraine, and imagine it is comforting as well. Glad to read you have a cozy and warmish place to sit. Sorry to read about the price hike, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We had sunshine the last days but it is still cold and windy and not very inviting to go out. That's nice to try out different techniques in painting, Gesso means plaster in Italian is used on canvas or paper to not absor the colors so it has to be compltely dry, maybe that's why your paper wrinkled a bit ! I have painted for more than 20 years I used acrylics and pastel and painted ... cats in all colors, red, green, yellow etc

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such creative artwork ... very original and eye catching! The Government here in Spain is supposed to be reducing the VAT on all fuel. I do hope it is a substantial amount because lots of people are finding extremely difficult to switch on the heat due to the horrendous bills they are receiving. keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your artwork is so beautiful on the pages of the Word as you study it, what a lovely idea! I hope your weather has warmed up, and that you don't have to use as much oil. We use propane here, and the price has also gone up. Blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete