Saturday 22 August 2020

Winter Preparation

We have settled straight back into the rhythm of the Island and are enjoying our self imposed isolation.  We have already made  great headway into the tasks around the cottage and garden and things are looking good and taking shape.  The garden room needed a little work but we are already starting to enjoy its bounty and are harvesting something on a daily basis.  Salad leaves, tomatoes, spring onions and courgettes are plentiful so we are including these into our meals.  One of our lunches this week shows some salad leaves tomato and onion on a toasted seeded bun with homemade steak burger with a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, very tasty.



One of our evening meals also consists of our garden bounty.  Courgettes, spring onions and tomatoes with a little basil and new potatoes cooked with mint.  Along with smoked haddock and a poached egg from our own chickens.


Both tasty and nourishing meals which give a lovely sense of achievement.  We have avoided the deserts this week and have already dropped a couple of pounds.  The rhubarb whilst we were away has gone berserk and although contained has spread a lot.  I must admit I am not disappointed and have been picking  and freezing it for a treat later on in the year.  A wonderful taste of Summer in those dreary days of Winter.  I may even make jam next week for a tasty treat with toast or my favourite scones.

We were blessed with scones from our neighbour on our return with a little note, such a lovely thought and greatly appreciated.


We were also given some beautiful freesias which have such a wonderful scent which has permeated around our little cottage.  Along with phone calls and emails we certainly feel blessed.


They are stunning and take pride of place on the dining table where we can admire them as we go about our daily tasks.  The days are getting shorter as we go through August, each day bringing us closer to another season.  Subtle changes are starting to appear but thankfully we are still getting some great weather giving us the opportunity to enjoy the beauty that surrounds us.  We intend to get out and about as much as we can before the weather breaks and we are forced indoors.  Our Winter preparations are almost complete, we have fuel in all its guises ready for the stove, logs, coal and peat.   The oil tank has been filled.  The store cupboard is full, we have been rewarded well with our garden bounty and next week will start to make some preserves.  We have a plentiful supply of provisions for various projects we want to achieve this Winter.  The Winter weight bedding is all ready to be changed over once the temperatures drop enough.  Candles are on hand.  As the hazy days of Summer become a distant memory we will move seamlessly into another phase and try to work out the best way to manage this terrible pandemic.  Hibernation is fast becoming a possibility!!!!!!! 

I intend to preserve some eggs, I thought about freezing them but it is not something that I have done before so would value your opinion.  I want to have some eggs on hand for baking just in case they stop laying.  I have pickled eggs before using an Amish recipe that were wonderful as part of a Winter salad but not frozen them.  Do you prepare for the change in seasons?

As always I thank you for your comments that are so uplifting.  A warm welcome to a new follower I do hope you find something of interest as I go through my little adventures of life.  Take care in these very strange times that we find ourselves in.

See you soon.

35 comments:

  1. I love this time of year when you can go out and make a meal from things harvested in the garden. The other evening I used potatoes, bell peppers, onions and zucchini from my garden to make a hash. I added bacon and eggs too. So good! My tomatoes are starting to ripen and I have sooooo many, so we will be eating lots of tomatoes here soon. :)

    I do love the transition from summer into fall but summer is still hanging on here in North Idaho for a little bit longer.

    Love,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are picking the last of the beans, peas and courgettes from the garde. I love to have our own produce even though there is not a huge amount.
    I remember my Grandma keeping eggs in Waterglass just after the war, but have no idea what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This link may be useful even if it is irritating to load!
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-freeze-eggs-for-winter-zmaz01aszsel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any chance of pictures of the food in your garden room?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lorraine. It's so fun to read about all of your preparations for winter. Your two meal photos look absolutely delicious.
    I would love to be your neighbor and obviously the people around you feel the same. The welcome home gifts they gave you are lovely.
    I have frozen eggs before and used them for baking. It worked very well. I just put 2 or 3 into a small blender but you can also whisk them. Then a quick whirl and into a ziplock freezer bag. I flattened the bag to get as much air out as I could and then laid them flat in a container to freeze them. I kept them up to 6 months but no longer. I hope that helps a bit.
    We've gotten settled in our spot and Dennis just called and is only 55 miles from his sisters house. The drive is over 1500 miles so he's gone a long way in just one day. Chloe and I took a walk this morning and then I did a bit of yard work around our spot, cleaning up twigs and leaves. I also did dishes and washed a load of laundry so I'm keeping busy although I miss Dennis terribly. Neither of us do well without the other one.
    Take care and our love to Gerard.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about your winter preparations. It makes me feel happy to think of you all cosy in your cottage. It's probably about time I began to think of the colder months too, but I'm clinging on to the last of the summer days. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lorraine, I so enjoyed reading about your meals and preparations for winter. It makes me think we need to make a list of things we need, such as fuel for our generator for if the power goes out. We do have a lot of food and candles and all which is good. Take care, my friend. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are also preparing for winter. Making sure we have all we need in case of power outage. I enjoy reading about your cottage and what you are doing preparing for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be reading with interest about the preservation of eggs...have never done it before. You sound so well prepared for the change in seasons...I am barely getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy reading about your garden produce and your preparations for winter. Here we have no reason to do any preparing. I used to do more when the children were all at home but now with just the 2 of us to care for and many stores/markets available all year round I find I don't do that any more. To be honest, at 75 I don't have the energy and enthusiasm I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your meals prepared with fresh garden vegetables look delicious, Loraine. It sounds like your neighbors missed you both while you were away. Good neighbors are a wonderful blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, my friend.
    I too enjoy you sharing your winter preparations with you. I learn so many new things and get such a sense of cozy when I visit with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is so much preparation work ahead of the winter. You food looks good. You are blessed with a good neighbour who took the trouble to welcome you home with a gift and a note.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your posts are like a warm hug. I love the gentle pace of life and the crafts you create. I have seen people on you tube preserve eggs in something called 'issinglass. I have never tried it but it appears to be vey successful

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are all set for whatever life and the weather throws at us next. Your hard work has paid off so now you can relax and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you are well-prepared for the change of seasons! Phil/MN

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you are well-prepared for the change of seasons! Phil/MN

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely to be so welcomed home and to be enjoying all those garden gifts.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garden is certainly providing you with some tasty meals, all the hard work earlier in the year is now paying off. You seem to have integrated into island life and the community so well, it's nice to have good neighbours, people who look out for you in good times and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  20. To soon to prepare anything...Summer ends late September ;)
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's always good to eat home grown isn't it MM, and what lovely neighbours you have. The scones are a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What wonderful neighbours you have!!! It reminds me of when I was a child back home in the UK. When my mother would leave the backdoor open for the neighbour to pop in...families were closer with their neighbours then! All those meals you have mentioned sound really delicious I just heart the homemade and home grown factor immensely! When does your winter start on the island? keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have not started any winter preparations yet, I am enjoying the summer whilst it lasts! I suspect that the preserving will start in soon, the freezer is already looking full and the pantry is too, so I guess I am doing it without thinking about as being winter prep!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so much enjoyed reading about how your neighbours welcomed you home, and of your preparations for the winter. Here we are starting to notice the change of season, as well. It's been a very cool summer and our tomatoes are just barely beginning to ripen. I hope to make mexican salsa to preserve and roasted tomatoes to freeze - they make a delicious soup in the winter. I'm doing lots of things with the bounty of zucchini, and the onions are braided and hanging for storage. I've frozen blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries, but have not made any jam this season. We eat less of it than we used to and we have enough left from last year. Getting stocked up for winter is especially important this year with the issues in this poor world.
    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely welcome home surprise from your neighbors, something to eat and something to enjoy! No winter prep here yet as summer weather is hanging in still, but enjoyed reading about your own. We also have cut down on any sweet treats and noticed a difference, except that we did cheat a bit on last week's road trip to celebrate our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such sweet neighbors that you have and so thoughtful! No winter preparation here yet, but I am so looking forward to fall time!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's amazing to be thinking of winter preparations. It's been such an amazing year. I really look forward to fall weather and enjoying the cozy snuggly time of year.
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a yummy food! I am freezing eggs constanly because I bake a lot and sometimes I am left with egg whites or eggs yolks. Both are great for baking after defrosting, I am using defrosted yolks for shortcrust mainly and whites for meringues. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have not frozen eggs, but have thought about it. Would love to hear what people are doing too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have not heard of freezing eggs so I'll be interested to see what you decide. Our garden is slowly winding down. I cannot wait for whispers of fall, it cannot come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great to have time during your temporary isolation to cook lovely meals from your garden produce and prepare things for colder days too. I bet those freesias smell wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. How wonderful to come home to scones and flowers and the bounty of your garden. It really is special. I've never frozen of pickled eggs so I'm no help.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. What kind and thoughtful neighbours you have! I'm not ready to think about autumn and winter yet, although I realise that it will come to you before it reaches us further south. I don't think my husband believes me when I tell him that when I lived in Scotland, we used to go back to school in the third week of August wearing our jumpers and blazers, and we needed them. You'll be well-prepared, as ever. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. There is nothing quite like the satisfaction derived from eating one's own produce. Our pickling and canning days are done, but we have done lost of it in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think your meals prepared with your own fresh garden vegetables look delicious :)

    I do like those freesias too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete