Friday 6 October 2017

Finish For The Weekend

I have had quite the week this week, keeping me busy which I love.  It is Communion Season so church events have kept me busy too.  The weather has been typical of that of the start of Autumn and so akin to Island weather and that is changeable.  It is so difficult to know what to wear, even the heating system doesn't know what to do.  We have now ordered logs which will be delivered next week so that we can light the stove in the afternoon ready for the big drop in temperature as the darkness descends.  It seems to be getting darker each day so we are settling down a little earlier and moving into the Autumn/Winter mode of entertainment jigsaws, crosswords and crafting.

Preparing the store cupboard has been high on my agenda so after drying out herbs and chopping them finely I now have an assortment ready for those warming stews/casseroles.  I also have some that have been warmed in oil and bottled along with some chilli oil.  Sadly herbs and chilli's are the only produce that we have grown this year but we do have plans for next year.


The raspberry vinegar has now been bottled all ready to use for Winter salads.



Some natural twine wrapped around the bottle neck to give it some glamour.

I had quite the bake this morning filling the oven to capacity to optimise the electricity.  We are trying to keep the bills as low as possible so that we can have some extra treats on our holiday. The bread maker was put on, this time for a small white crusty loaf which was indeed very tasty and looked as it should despite it coming from a packet.  We have two more varieties to try and then normal service will resume.


Quiches, cranberry mincemeat pies and banana nut bread all ready for the weekend.




The blanket is now finished, I did another round on the initial granny square as it did not look full enough and then used a single crochet to put them together.  My apologies for not doing a tutorial as requested but it is on my list of things to do and I will get to it as soon as I can.




I have made a little shopper and a taggy blanket for little gifts.






Alterations have been completed finally, even petite is still too long for me so I do struggle with trousers been only 4' 11" tall.  I am once again joining Jill at Emerald Cottage for the weekly get together to showcase your finish's , why not join in the fun and pop over and see what has been created and indeed finished this week.

As always I thank you for your comments, emails and support they are greatly appreciated.

See you soon.

37 comments:

  1. I bet your cottage is lovely and cosy in this colder weather with all the baking coming out of your kitchen and the gorgeous aromas. The blanket looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen must have smelt amazing today with all that cooking going on, some wonderful treats indeed. The raspberry vinegar sounds so nice if only I liked vinegar! Love your crochet blanket. I really miss crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bear looks as though he's ready for a picnic. Lovely blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm...that baking looks delicious, especially the quiches. Wonderful makes too, I love the bag! It's getting darker earlier here too so I'm getting ready to cosy in for the Winter xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always busy !!!! With lovely and yummy stuff ;)
    You have to give me some of your energy !
    Have a cozy weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colours of your crochet blanket! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so talented and resourceful. Everything looks beautiful, and the food looks scrumptious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post filled with all the things that one thinks of whenever Home comes to mind. Love the afghan...whatever modifications you made seem just right. You have been very industrious since you moved to the island. Stay warm and cozy now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can you do loads of work together.. hats off to you.. big hug.. have nice weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...your oven was put to good use. It all looks so tasty....especially that quiche...yum, yum.
    I absolutely adore the colours of the blanket.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, lots of lovely baking, yum! Love the bear and the blanket very beautifully down. Have a nice weekend and stay warm. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always amaze and inspire me with all the things you make and do! We have Autumn in full swing here but it's still warm and sunny. But I know the grey and cold is coming soon. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blankets look great and the food super delicious. I just spent the morning baking 4 Pumpkin pies ( it's Canadian Thanksgiving weekend) but seeing the picture of your quiche now I want to make something savoury!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blanket looks great, isn't it wonderful to finish something. It sounds like you're going to be nice and cosy when the logs arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. mamasmercantile, you are inspiring me to be a bit more creative with my homemade gifts. The blanket looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scrumptious baking and that blanket is stunning We still have sunshine here in Suffolk and beautiful autumn colour in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm coming to you for the weekend! Quiche, homemade bread and mince pies - yum!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bake in batches as it is very economical all round. You have been busy with your crafting and everything looks really good. I especially like the blanket. Stay warm. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your food looks so delicious. That raspberry vinegar has my mouth watering. I rarely put up anything. I absolutely adore that afghan. The color combo is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh you're making me salivate with your baking and dressings! It's ok! Just had a piece of banana bread with my tea! I have to hem a new pr of jeans that I bought today. I'm 5'2" and still have trouble finding jeans just my length. Oh well my tall girlfriend has trouble too. All your crafty gifts look nice. I'm sure they'll be enjoyed. Happy weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You make me want to be a better baker! Truly. And a better crocheter too! Dang is there nothing you don't do well? I've nothing finished this week, but I will be popping over to see what all has been completed this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have been very busy creating some delicious and beautiful things! I'm sure they were and will be very much appreciated by the lucky recipients. I love the beautiful crochet blanket and the little tag blanket. My new little grandson loves tags! His Mum keeps all the tags on his stuffed toys and that is what he plays with. Babies are funny :) Hope you have a lovely weekend. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. My goodness you have been very busy this week, all your vinegars, oils and herbs in bottles look wonderful as does all your baking. Love your blanket and teddy matches exactly. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've enjoyed following your adventures in the kitchen and the craft room. You've been busy! I like keeping busy as well, it is a nice feeling.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can almost smell the wonderful aromas in your kitchen as I looked at your photos! Love your crocheted blanket, the shopping tote and the tag blanket; you've been very busy. And thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your baking and cooking looks delicious. For the cranberry mincemeat tarts do you just add cranberries to regular mincemeat? We are getting ready for winter here as well. We had a big dump of snow last week which turned to ice which wasn't much fun. I have a few more jobs to do in the garden so hopefully the snow will hold off until I get them done. I have the opposite problem from you. I'm 5'7" so often things are too short!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow you've been really busy! Makes me feel quite lazy. Love seeing all the beautiful bakes and makes.

    Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your blanket is pretty and your food looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love to see all the bottled homemade berry vinegar you have prepared. It would be wonderful to smell the freshly baked bread and pies coming from your oven. You have got so many project done and the crochet blanket is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  30. All that wonderful baking must warm up your house and taste so good. I hardly ever make sweets because we try not to eat them and yours are so tempting. The blanket turned out nice and I like the colors. And I also love the color of the raspberry vinegar. I bet it tastes lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. love how you are saving money by the way you cook....I'll be saving money since my family is leaving (ha ha ha). I am tired of cooking for many and miss cooking for two :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your handiwork is lovely, Lorraine, and the food and vinegars looked wonderful and I’m sure will be much enjoyed. We still have fairly warm days here but are hoping for some cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think I just do like a cat, I sneak in your house, eat all the good things and nap on your blankets ! What a dream !

    ReplyDelete
  34. The granny blanket and the teddy bear go together perfectly. I'm just a tad bit taller than you so I know your struggle finding clothing that fits right. It's good you can sew.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your baking looks wonderful! Warmth and fires are what we all need as the sun disappears sooner and sooner each day. Our hearts and activities turn inwards towards cozy activities, too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Those quiches look delicious, I bet your kitchen smelt great on your baking day. I do like your bread canister I could see in the background xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've never thought of putting tomato slices on my quiche, but will definitely add them next time.

    I was just telling my Cooking Club that we should each start a Snooty Pantry, with jams and jellies, chutneys and salsas, flavored oils and vinegars, mixes for hot chocolate, Russian tea etc.

    I see you've already started yours. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete