Tuesday 26 September 2017

I have had a busy few days, but most enjoyable.  The car needed some work doing to it, so it had to be taken into the garage in Stornoway.  Sadly, there was no courtesy vehicle available and we hadn't arranged a car so our return trip was on the bus.  Despite my reservations I was so pleasantly surprised how enjoyable the journey would be.  It took 45 minutes, but we were able to enjoy some beautiful views out of the window and chat to others on the bus.  We did find out about the  National Entitlement Card for concessionary travel for those aged 60+.  I collected the necessary forms for Gerard from the Post Office this morning and will be applying for mine on my next birthday when I too will be eligible.   Amazing what you can find out on a bus... 

I have been busy in the kitchen making jams and chutneys all ready for the Winter months, so we can enjoy a taste of Summer.  If indeed it lasts that long.  The jam was a mixture of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.


Left overnight to soak up the sugar.  I can confirm that the end result was amazing, we had some today on bread just out of the oven.




Seven jars were made but half a jar has been eaten already, so I see more jam making in the future. 

I also have raspberries soaking in vinegar, already to be strained to make some raspberry induced vinegar ready for winter salads.  Another couple of days...


...the raspberries need to be soaked for about seven days before been strained through muslin and bottled.  I also want to do some chilli oil and basil oil when I have enough bottles.  I am waiting for a delivery from Amazon.  Chilli and basil are the only two plants that we have grown since our move so it is nice to make something with our very small harvest.

Plum chutney, Christmas chutney, red cabbage, beetroot and shallots have all been added to the pantry.







What a joy to use my Christmas mixing bowl for the Christmas chutney.  It was a gift from our youngest daughter Lucy and brings back so many wonderful memories of baking together.  Cherished memories of Christmas's past that will stay with me forever.   Isn't it wonderful how everyday things trigger memories.
I do so wish that you could smell the beautiful aroma in my kitchen.  It has the beautiful smell of Christmas with its aromatic mix of spices.  It is indeed a joy, albeit a little earlier than usual but travel plans have made this a necessity.  I have made two types of mincemeat, a spiced apple variety and a cranberry one both with Port.




Fabric scraps and natural twine added to enhance their beauty.  All that is left is to put it all away and give the kitchen a good scrub down.  

Thank you for all your wonderful comments on my last post, I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement.  I did take photos of the before fireplace but for some reason I cannot find them, I will get Gerard to help me and then hopefully show some on a later post.

Leaving you with some more furry friends from over the Croft.  Their markings enabling their identification.



See you soon.



29 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy, I enjoy a bit of preserving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the way people are making preserves and preserving. I am always interested in how people keep things for any length of time. Do you water bath or use the inversion method?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so good I can almost smell it. The jam looks heavenly, can you post a recipe for it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been so busy, I'm sure your kitchen smells delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just imagine the wonderful scents arising from your kitchen. I'm curious about how you preserve red cabbage - is it pickled?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been a busy bee, I can just imagine all the wonderful smells in your cottage. I doubt I'd get much done though if I had those views out of my kitchen window.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitchen must smell divine!! Have you tried this website http://jamjarshop.com/ for jars and bottles? I have been pleased with the ones that I have bought, and their service is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the jam bounty looks marvelous. I may have to have some toast and jam with my tea shortly. Such a good thing to learn about the 🚌 benefit. You may actually decide to use the bus more often as it surely must be easier sometimes than driving a car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh nothing beats fresh homemade bread and jam!
    I love your Christmas mixing bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I can almost smell those divine smells. The mincemeat looks amazing.

    Andy has just been and picked up a large net of onions and two red cabbages ready for pickling at the weekend....let the Christmas prep commence.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am constantly impressed with your incredible energy and creativity with the things you make! I wish I had 1/4 of your energy. Bravo on all your jams and chutneys! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have definitely been busy and the jams and chutney look delicious! I lov the sheep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. gosh, the last post had Christmas cards and today you've got jam jars...gah. I am inspired to catch up with your industrious endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, my faraway friend!
    I have said this before, but I wish we were neighbors!
    I could learn sooo much from you!!!!
    I love visiting.
    Have a cozy evening. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are amazing. Do you know that? An inspiration to all of us. Everything looks so delicious. And the sheep are wonderful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that lovely red Christmas mixing bowl!! And all the delicious looking jams and chutneys you make! I can well imagine how wonderful your kitchen smells.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is amazing...so many jar of jams... it looks so Christmasy..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure your house smelled of pleasant aroma from your cooking of jams and fruit pies. That happens when I put dinner in the crockpot and it's aroma fills the house and ya want to eat it right away! I enjoy your posts alot! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can imagine the beautiful aromas that come out of your kitchen! As for getting out-and- about, I wouldn't be able to afford to go so often into the city on a tram or bus or get around locally if I didn't have a free travel pass. We use the car, but I go shopping or meet a friend on my own when my husband is resting or pottering with his plants so it's a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bet the jam is lovely! I have never liked chutney, or anything with vinegar, dressings etc... but they do all look very lovely and wonderful gifts. You are doing really well.

    My son has said he will do Christmas this year, which is wonderful, but I do fear it will be a real jumping in the deep end for his soon to be wife who is from Nepal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I were your neighbour, I will self invite to your kitchen to learn all the jam and chutney making. So interesting to make your own jam and chutney!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never thought of making my own raspberry vinegar, what a great idea. Love all your homemaking activities. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wowsers! you have been busy. I made autumn raspberry jam but hadn't thought of vinegar, I love that in dressings. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  24. You most definitely have been a busy girl! Oh wow...I can almost taste and smell the love aroma of those chutneys and other delights! The raspberry vinegar really intrigued me! I would love to know how to do all of these things!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm impressed with all the preperations you've done to get ready for the holiday season ahead! I bought a faux Christmas tree the other day and thought I was getting ahead until I saw your work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I get minority complexes when I see what you are all doing ! Fortunately we are not jam fans !
    Probably slowly slowly you will find out other interesting things for seniors !

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am a bit behind in blog reading this week, Lorraine, but reading this post left me so impressed with your culinary creations and mot for holiday giving. I can well imagine how wonderful the aromas were in your kitchen. The finished jars look so lovely too especially with the fabric toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  28. All your preserves look so tempting. I've never made jam successfully so gave up long ago. Yours looks yummy xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love all your preserving results. I call those things which belong in a Snooty Pantry. I even have a board on Pinterest called Snooty Pantry where I collect recipes for items like yours. I'm a fan of chutney, but never seem to know how and with what to serve it. You've inspired me to get in the kitchen and get busy.

    ReplyDelete