Monday 23 July 2018

Saturday Stroll

The weather wasn't as bad as predicted, a little cooler but we didn't get the rain as badly as I had anticipated.  Consequently on Saturday, a picnic was packed and off we went down to the harbour too soothe our souls.  Pop on a sweater and jump into the car I will take you along with us. 




The entrance to the harbour is through a gap between a cliff face and a large rocky islet.  You certainly get the wow factor at its beauty, even more so on days where the sun is shining or the waves are crashing, extremes!







Port of Ness is a village in the community of Ness where the beautiful harbour is situated.  It was constructed in the early 19th century and was once described as 'one of the principal fishing stations in the Isle of Lewis'.  If you can tear yourself away from the beautiful beach and coastline I will take you for a stroll along the pier.  







I have the flask with me so we can stop and have a coffee when we get to the end.  Its a little scary on a windy day to stand at the end with no shelter but it is spectacular to be able to see both sides of the wall.




Well worth the walk, sit on the steps and take a breather.  The walk is just as good on the way back...








Roast pork and coleslaw sandwich anyone?

Finally, for all you Peter May fans this is the boathouse which is featured in The Blackhouse and The Lewis Man.


We will rest awhile here and chat awhile before we head back to the comfort of our little cottage.

See you soon.

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us along on your picnic to Port of Ness. I'm always amazed at the extreme tides you have! The pretty ocean always beckons. Wearing a sweater would be a little warm here, but sounds good now to me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost smell the sea air. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely old harbour wall. Just right with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is certainly a rugged and grand area and I enjoyed very much coming along with you on the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely walk about and you took us with you!! I never tire seeing the boats or lobster traps :) They are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful, I really enjoyed walking with you in such beautiful surroundings:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely...
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it is so beautiful there!it looks so quiet and peaceful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was wonderful - for a few minutes I have escaped the heat, humidity and midges (they are harvesting across the way) and been transported back to the island. The sights, the smells, sounds and freshness of the air. Bliss!

    I know I enjoyed my years there, but I wish I had stored it away even more consciously, with more awareness of how special a place it is. Thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely outing and beautiful scenery.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice excursion ! and the landscape is so beautiful and wild !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I truly enjoyed every single photo and walking along the shore and pier with you. The only thing better would be to be there in person. Your photos are marvelous; I could almost smell the sea air:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this lovely little venture!
    I was wondering what that arched "doorway" in picture # 11. It seems to lead right into the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I enjoyed our little sightseeing adventure today. Such beautiful scenery. The little fishing boats are perfect. I can almost smell the salt in the air.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like it might have been a bit chilly on your excursion, Lorraine, but nice to get out and enjoy some time together and coffee does help too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How beautiful, though it’s hard to imagine needing a jumper in this weather xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed you taking us along and sharing all you saw on this adventure. I'm missing the Pacific Ocean and your photos make me want to go visit the seaside again. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is one of your best outings yet! The old rocky coast line looks so ancient, which is part of the beauty of the island. Even though it's still a little early for a sweater, I am beginning to look forward to those days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for taking along me along your stroll! Very refreshing and nice to smell the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's good to visit you and enjoy the walk by the harbour wall. It was interesting to see the real setting for the Peter May books; the rugged rocks, sandy beach, the fishing boats and tackle and the lone man in his boat makes for a great atmosphere. The walk with you was certainly good for the soul.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the leisurely harbour stroll, refreshing when we are hiding in our holiday house today because it's approaching 30 degrees outside.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can smell salt air just by scrolling thru your post. What a nice walk that would be. Yummy sandwich! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete