Monday 28 September 2020

Weekend

 My goodness, how time is flying by and despite new restrictions with regard to Covid 19 I am still filling my days well.  I always have a project on the go if not more than one.  I have made a start on some cards which include Christmas cards.  I intend to send a few extras this year as I won't be able to call in on some of our old friends but I want them to know we are thinking of them.  I have also been working on some jar toppers for jams/chutneys/pickles which will be included in the hampers that I give.




I am adding to the hampers regularly using as much as I can harvest from the garden and garden room.  The most recent addition is some spring onion oil.  I do like to have a variety of oils in my kitchen as well as for gifts.



I have made a couple of storage bags to be gifted, along with a matching pencil roll and stationery.



Saturday as usual was spent in the kitchen preparing  the dinner for Sunday so that I can really enjoy a day of rest.  This week pork was on the menu as the pig came back from the slaughterhouse.  It was hard not to think about it but I must admit the meat was good.  I made butternut squash and sweet potato soup I had to thin it down a little it was so thick but it was very tasty.


Cauliflower cheese was made as side to go with the pork, along with some stewed apple.


Sausage rolls were made with some of the sausage meat, they were so tasty.   A cheese and onion quiche, apple crumbles and potato salad were also added.


It is always nice to have a few things prepared in advance so if we are busy I can make a quick meal.  Autumn is closing in, the temperatures are dropping, throws are appearing and the heating has been turned back on.  I have changed some of the candles around giving a more seasonal scent.  I have a full store cupboard in the event of cancelled freight ferries due to bad weather.  The sky is overcast and heavy and the changing hues are a delight as I look out of my cottage window.  The beauty that I am surrounded by is a gift and I am thankful for it.



Gerard has a hospital appointment tomorrow so we are going across to Stornoway, they phoned today to check on his health ensuring it was safe for him to attend.  The new drug regime seems to be working well so hopefully this will not change.  We have also had our appointments for the flu jab so that is another thing ticked off.  How are you all doing?  Are you managing to tick off those lists of jobs? 

As always I thank you for your visit and your uplifting comments.  Take care and stay safe.

See you soon.

29 comments:

  1. I am coming to live with you once this is all over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the appointment, hope all goes well. You're making me hungry with all your tasty food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to get our flu shots this week, too. I always enjoy seeing your lovely meals you prepare in your kitchen. Sending good wishes for a good appointment for Gerard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish once again, that I lived in a cozy cottage right next to you. I could learn so very much from you! Thank you for sharing all your tips! Have a good trip, a safe travel, and a good appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy. I finished those masks and now can concentrate better on some Christmas gifts. Hopefully a few will be made this week.

    Love the jar toppers.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pretty tops you've made for the jellies! And all the delicious food you prepared. That Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato soup looks wonderful.
    I hope all goes well at the hospital tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All looks wonderful. I love the jar toppers and flavoured oils.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty jar toppers you've made. You always think of such wonderful gifts to include in your hampers. The oil is a brilliant way to add flavor.
    You made wonderful sounding dishes on Saturday and are much more organized than I am. We used to always go to Sunday lunch at a restaurant with our friends from church. There were usually 8 to 20 of us! That all stopped with COVID and I have never gotten organized again to have our meals all prepared ahead of time, although I did make chicken and noodles on Saturday evening and we had them as leftovers on Sunday afternoon after we watched church services online.
    We have our flu shots scheduled for next week. Dennis's office provides them free of charge for employees and spouse so we do that every year.
    I'll be praying tomorrow for Gerards appointment and that all will be well with him.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always inspire me when I see all the things you make and create and the yummy meals you make. Bravo, you! I'm sending good wishes to your husband on his doctors visit. I also want to get my flu shot this week. This will be an awful winter with flu and covid threatening all of us. Be safe! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to try the Spring Onion Oil - I assume you just use Rapeseed or Sunflower Oil as a base?

    The cooking all looks so good - we made a summer squashes and fridge bottom soup this week with lots of spices added to give it a kick and that was delicious - half went into the freezer for later.

    We've had the letter regarding flu jabs so will be getting ours soon.

    Your jams look good and will be well received I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like you I'm getting a few batch cooked meals in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make such lovely things. Lucky recipients.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the food you have prepared looks so appetizing! As I look at what you have prepared it makes me more determined to turn to home cooking and healthier fresh ingredients. I can imagine your hampers will be a such a delight to receive. I hope you will post a photo when you have completed them. Its the best of gifts! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those jar toppers finish the jars off perfectly, it's all these little extras you add to your makes which make them look all the more special. Hope the hospital appointment goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to see jar toppers on home made produce. It just adds to the specialness of it all. Your hampers are going to be lovely and I am sure that they will be well received

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, you are so productive. Those jar toppers look fab and as for your cooking, when can I come for tea !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty jar toppers and so much effort to make your gifts look so beautiful. Delicious cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've stalled, but it's early yet. Glad that you keep at it. That way, you are never surprised. Praying for an excellent report for your Beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A busy bee preparing yummy cooking and pretty gifts !
    Lovely pics !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  20. whenever you show your cooking, I want to come over for dinner! hope his appointment goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do like the jar toppers.
    Your dinner looks and sounds fabulous.

    Hope the hospital appointment goes well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't know why I haven't visited your blog before as I have often seen your comments on other blogs. My only produce from the garden recently has been the last of the rhubarb which I made into Rhubarb and Onion Relish. I had it on crackers with cheese and it was very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love seeing what you make for gifting. Those sausage rolls look so good too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The tradition with giving hampers sounds very nice,and the jar toppers are lovely. Is it a common tradition in Britain to give hampers? I like it, and if it is filled with homemade things it must be great. The food you have made looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are accomplishing a lot with your crafts and gift creations. What a treat for the people who will receive your hampers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are a champion in creating work to keep you busy, lol ! The jar toppers for jams look very decorative ! I think you should open a restaurant ! The plates look delicious ! Mine too, but I only push on the button of my microwave, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had a bit too many things to do this week. Made myself to waiting a day to make cookies 🍪 still a busy day but not zoom call to do that eve. I need to get strawberry jam made as well. Soon! I've not been in blogger lately so that's why I'm a bit late commenting. I appreciate your comments on my blog and prayers. I'm must better this week. Stagnant air, a bit of smoke and fog this a.m. hope Gerard is good and you too!😳🐇🐰🐏🐐

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am a bit late in catching up, Lorraine, and so enjoy seeing the crafts and holiday gifts, plus the foods you have been preparing in your home. I should always remember to have eaten first because the dinner preps and that soup looked delicious. I had planned to make butternut squash soup now that our temps have cooled down and so it's definitely on the menu now and with sweet potatoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The jar toppers are so lovely and what a thoughtful gift they will make!! The food looks so yummy too!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete