Monday 23 October 2017

Footprints in the Sand

A quiet, restful weekend with lots of lists been made, a short trip out and some marmalade made and tested.  That just about sums up our weekend.  It was such a beautiful day on Saturday we went for a drive around the Island, it was nice to have a break out and become intrepid explorers.  We stopped off in Stornoway to refuel the car and admire the changing season.  There are so few trees on the Island due to the winds it is always a delight to see so many around the castle looking over the harbour.  The changing colours were a joy and a sharp reminder of the change in season.




A stroll around the harbour is always a joy as it is flat and easy for Gerard to walk.  The ever changing sights are always wonderful.  We never know what is going to catch our eye.  This time a gull performing on the harbour wall and another illusive seal was our show for the day.  The reflections in the water were also a feast for the eyes.




Then there is always Gerard who is generally good for casually posing...LOL!


I managed to get some marmalade made on my return, so that was the last of the preserves made.  I used a recipe from a Women's Institute Cook book, a traditional recipe with a lovely twist, the addition of black treacle. 



I have tried and tested it it looks darker than normal but it does taste good.  I would certainly use this recipe again.  Just needs some nice fabric toppers.

We live in an isolated part of the Island so we are blessed with delivery vans/mobile shops there is even a bank that is mobile and of course the library.  Enabling so many people who can't get out and about to remain independent in their own homes.  This morning the bakery van which also carries some groceries.


We woke to rain but this soon stopped and made way for another beautiful day.  Too nice to stay in so I joined Christine Callum and Ann one of our neighbours for a walk on the beach.  Once again the seals were teasing us with their antics and disappearing as soon as the camera appeared.





It was so lovely to chat and enjoy the beauty together.  The sun was shining and apart from the waves breaking on the rocks a still calm day with little wind.


Checking out the footprints of those who had been before us.  Each visit so different from the last as the tides comes in and out removing the evidence of those gone before.



Well of course you have to pose for the camera...


A beautiful stroll with beautiful people, and lots of treasure.  Who knew there were so many varieties of seaweed, all making such amazing photographs.




The ever changing landscape a joy to behold.


Where would you like to leave footprints in the sand?

See you soon.

35 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love seeing photos of where you live. It looks like such a wonderful place. Glad you enjoyed your exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we visited Lewis to see if we may move there I remember we were amazed by the beach at Uig. This would have been our nearest beach and even though the day we visited the rain was coming in sideways and blowing a gale the beach was glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, life on an island! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were lucky with the weather, a beautiful autumnal day on a beautiful island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are just gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are always so lovely, you live in such a beautiful area xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The marmalade looks delicious. Friendly neighbors and pretty views make for a nice walk. Your weekend sounds like a pleasant one.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather looks fabulous, what a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the look of your marmalade and all your other photos. For a quiet weekend you sure got a lot done :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky to live close to the beautiful beach. It must be a little like Heaven on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I certainly wouldn't mind leaving my footprints on the little bit of beach in the bottom photograph.
    I love the buildings.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking us with you on your adventures. I so miss the ocean and your trip with Gerard and then with your friends looks like so much fun. I would love to leave footprints on your beach with you. Who know? Maybe someday! Life does bring surprises along doesn't it?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Looks like a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful day to be out & about with good company & amazing scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful.. Love the pictures.. you were super busy in the weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Living on a beautiful island so close to the beach must be a dream come true. Where would I go? Well, one of our favorite spots is a sandy little beach along side a stream in the mountains not far from here where we like to picnic. You've inspired me to pack a lunch and go...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful place you are. I love the sea.Do you find sea glass ,I love to hunt for the glass
    I will be back Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. The air must be so fresh and clean. I’m finding the thought of marmalade with a bit of molasses very intriguing. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  19. You live in a wonderful part of the world!
    I have not heard of adding Molasses to Marmalade. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your island is filled with beautiful sights and lovely people. I enjoy reading about life there. Where would I like to leave footprints in the sand? Many places, and Scotland would be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Autumn is so beautiful on your lovely island. The photo of the reflection at the harbor is stunning. Any beach would suit me to leave footprints and your's is beautiful! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you found some trees in fall colors on your island. Your marmalade looks delicious! Right now I'm enjoying some raspberry seedless jam on my morning English muffin. :-) ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd leave footprints in Lincoln City not far from here. But it's cold so I'd leave boot prints. Won't be for awhile. Marmalade looks delicious. Ever made apricot marmalade? I like that one. Right now I need to walk with Phil in the cool of the dark evening. Good night and take care! Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love marmalade but I have never tried making my own jam. Maybe I should try it one day. You do live in a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely pictures !!!!
    With the Sun in the sky everything becomes bright and more beautiful !!!
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  26. How wonderful to have such lovely neighbours and to be able to walk along that beach. The weather looks good as does your marmalade, when I was a child the small village we lived in had delivery vans for fruit and veg, meat and fish and the mobile library too:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful place to live! It's nice there are delivery vans for fresh things when stores are far away. We drive the extra distance to get fresh fruits and veg because the stuff in the local stores has been around awhile. Do you taste the treacle in the marmalade? Would you mind sharing the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful!! I love everyone of your photos!! I love the ocean but have lived inland in all the countries I have lived. We are now in North Dakota, central U.S. There is no ocean in site. Only if we could exchange places for awhile :) Wishing you a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would never think that you live in an isolated area, Lorraine, when you describe and show all the places you visit and all the things you make and do. It just goes to show how much you and Gerard are able to enjoy the simple natural beauties around. Thanks for sharing the beach walk too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. peaceful post :) Do you like how remote your new home is? It sounds like you do! I live in a tiny town with limited shopping but in 40-50 minutes of driving I can be at some awesome shopping. I like that I have that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely places !!

    Do you want to follow each other?

    NEW Halloween LOOK
    kiss from Germany
    Stay Gold

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your island is just so beautiful. I am so glad you are enjoying it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks like you've made some wonderful friends since your move. Lovely photos!! xo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for sharing your wonderful island with us, Lorraine...lovely! I like leaving my footprints on any sandy beach :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ahhhhh......my ocean fix. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete