Thursday 11 May 2017

This and That

Works continues on projects throughout our little cottage, with many of them still in progress but here are a few.  Not a lot has been done outside as yet the mower and strimmer we have are not good enough for the sheer size of the garden.  We are in the process of doing some research into suitable machinery.  Definitely one for Gerard, boys and their toys, he is thinking sit on...  We have made a start of digging our way out of the cottage.  Yes, there are steps.  This little bit of work took us three hours.



 
We did want the satisfaction of doing the bulk of the work ourselves, we are now thinking we might pay someone to do the garden to give us a start.  You are some very wise women, advising us not to throw everything away and check what was in the outbuildings.  So far we have found wood to make a windowsill for the front vestibule/lobby.
 

 
A boot stand that was rusty that we have repainted with metallic black paint, it now looks a treat in the lobby.
 

 
There were two fold up wooden garden chairs that are in the process of being painted, in preparation for those balmy days sitting and watching the sheep.  I do seem to spend a lot of time looking out the window at them.
 

 
There is a long way to go but who knows what hidden treasure is lurking.  Works continues on our bedroom furniture, which seems to be evolving as we go.  Not quite finished but I am enjoying the process.
 

 
The dining room furniture from our previous home is too big for this little cottage, we have decided to keep the table as it holds so many memories of our children growing up around it.  We are going to change the chairs and have found some that suit.  They are not in the best condition and certainly need some TLC but with some work they will be perfect for our table.  Trust me...
 

 
The seat pads will be covered in Harris Tweed.  A good excuse to take another drive down to Harris, although in fairness there are a lot of weavers locally who sell their tweed.  They will have to wait to be finished as I am going to have a cleaning day today as we are going on a trip to visit the family.  I am so excited to see everyone, I have been missing my girls despite speaking to them daily.  Mum and Dad need some help with a few things as well so perfect timing.  I will catch up with you all when I get back.
 
See you soon.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

34 comments:

  1. You're certainly keeping busy. It's great that you can turn your hand to so many things, putting your own stamp on your new cottage. Enjoy your time with the family, I bet everyone's looking forward to seeing you and hearing all about your new life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol the joys of living in the back of beyond, you do keep everything because you never know what will come in useful and a trip to the shops is a pain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you continue to find buried treasure. My best find was a massive pile of fancy gold plated crystal ware in the loft of a house. I managed to trace the previous 3 owners who all denied any knowledge of it. It was sold at auction and paid for new flooring throughout. The downside was a garage absolutely filled to the roof with rubbish. Help with the heavy garden work sounds like a good idea, it will be a great boost to getting on with the other work needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree about not throwing anything away. We have a phrase "keep in stock" for anything that we find that will be useful or something cheap that we will use a lot of so buy a couple of whatever it is. I think the epitome of reuse and recycle was the huge decking we took down when we moved here and we were able to use the wood for everything from new beams and ceiling supports, stud walls when re-configuring rooms, building my Poly House and so much more. Well done on all your upcycling and the boot stand is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabulous finds.
    I love how your bedroom furniture is looking...the colours are just divine.
    Have a wonderful trip and a lovely weekend with your family-x-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful finds! How did you know there were stairs? Must have been peeking out somehow a bit. Looks as if your projects are all before you and I do think it wise to have a riding mower and some help to get started...such a lot of work ahead all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wooo hoooo. Free finds in the out buildings! Living on a farm seems like such a wonderful life until you realize how much work is involved with everything right? I'm glad you're up to it. So much easier living vicariously through your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the thought of some old out buildings with "junk" in them is enough to get me excited. What awesome treasures you have found already! Love those darling sheep...what a view!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely, I love the thought of finding something and giving it a purpose again, wonderful transformations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew you'd find some good stuff there! What an adventure you're having.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful finds. Hidden treasure indeed. And I love what you've done to the bedroom furniture. Enjoy your time with the family. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how fun! You have found some treasures right there on your own property. I love the colors you are painting everything. How close in distance are you to your family? I was wondering if it took a long time to reach where they live. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Oh, and by the way, I would find myself sitting and watching those sheep all the time too!
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those who advise not throwing out anything for a bit likely know what they are talking about. I'd love to rummage through someone's old shed or attic. I like what you're doing with the drawers painted different shades of grey. You've both been keeping busy and accomplishing a lot.

    Thank you for your kind comment on my post - you are a "no-reply blogger" so I couldn't return a comment to your email, but I do want to let you know how much I appreciate hearing others' stories.

    Enjoy your trip to see family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the boot rack, so just right for your croft. I'm following closely as you live my dream, happy you are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful finds! And the sheep are lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun to find such treasures in your outbuilding! Itself a treasure! Have fun on your trip back to see the family. Love the projects you're doing. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I would also spend a lot of time watching the sheep. So calming.
    Have a lovely visit with your family and come back refreshed and ready to tackle more projects.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!! may be you could find some hidden treasures..

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have found some great treasures! And you are turning them into lovely furniture and useful items in your home. Looking forward to your progress in and outside your home. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done, Lorraine. It is exciting to watch your hard work and see how you're giving new life to all sorts of things from steps to chairs. Have a wonderful visit with your loved ones. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have done a lot while I was laying on the beach in Egypt ! I am getting jealous when I see where you live now and how you make your place slowly, slowly so beautiful and cosy ! I scrolled down to read everything since you moved in ! How wonderful to start a new life and how exciting !

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have a table that has many memories built in that I refuse to give up as well. It's solid wood and that is a rarity around here. Love seeing the projects that you've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So much is getting done, I love the shades of grey on the drawers. Enjoy your family rime xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have been busy and seems like you're enjoying yourself. I like chest of drawers. Glad you have the chance to visit your family. I'm sure you miss them. Hope you had a good and safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow my dear your work is stunning
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  26. A 'sit on' mower is definintly the way to go - we had one in our last house plus it's kinda fun.

    Love, love LOVE the boot stand and your drawers are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love that your move is ocntinuing to be an adventure. So much to do. That will definitely keep you out of trouble! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh wow, how exciting! Looks like you've been very busy.

    Love the look of the boot stand and the chest of drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It will all look lovely when you're finished!! I have no doubt!! Love those stairs. Looks like they were covered for quite a while. xo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Goodness, everything looks wonderful...How exciting...such lovely finds...some real treasures. Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow you guys have been pretty busy..
    you are doing a great job.
    and yes, it may be wise to pay someone to give you a little help with the landscaping.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The bedroom furniture is looking gorgeous and I LOVE the boot stand. Great finds x

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMG , I have just painted our old wood table & chairs for the garden in the exact blue as yours the set is also identical great minds think alike xxx

    ReplyDelete