Saturday 29 April 2017

One Little Adventure At A Time

The sun was shining and we needed a break so we decided to set out on our first real adventure out and have a tour of the Island.  There was a lot of families out and about cutting peat, an unenviable task and from what I can gather requires strength and skill.  It has a certain charm to see the smoke coming from the chimneys and the beautiful smell of burning peat.

 
From my very limited knowledge I believe it is then laid out on the moor to dry a little before being transported back to crofts.
 

 
The peat is then piled into a beautiful mound and left to dry out throughout the summer.  It is quite a lengthy process but so worthwhile and a vital resource for some.
 
 
It was a delight to be out and about albeit in the car to see the wonderful weaving sheds where the Harris Tweed is woven.  Harris Tweed is  hand spun, hand woven and dyed by the crofters and cottars in their own homes throughout the Outer Hebrides.
 
 
We drove around the Westside district of the Island, discovering some amazing views, stopping at places of interest and enjoyed chatting to both locals and tourists.  We discovered a little furniture store and had a lengthy chat with the owner and then carried on to see the amazing Callanish stones.  We enjoyed a nice lunch at the Callanish Visitor Centre and then took a stroll up to the stones.  Well worth the walk.  It was a little blustery I certainly had to hold onto my hat...
 
 
It was an amazing sight to see the collection of standing stones arranged in a cruciform pattern, my photographs do not do it justice.
 


 
It was a little nerve racking at times with sheep wandering the roads.  I also had to hold my breath at times when I saw them climbing the mountainous terrain.
 



 
We now have a renewed energy, we are going to enjoy a nice meal together and catch up with some of our hobbies.  Tomorrow is another day...
 

 
Maybe not, I think that should say I will be catching up with my hobbies.  The boys have had a hard day!  We did carry on into Stornoway but I will save that for another post.
 
See you soon.
 



33 comments:

  1. Such a peaceful area. Lovely to see you pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've had a wonderful day living the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! you have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful day you had exploring your new home. It looks so peaceful and historical to me. Thank you for letting us see a photo of you too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy to see it have a fantastic time dear
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to each new post. It all is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely to share the surroundings of your new home, it is all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy.. some adventuring and photos to share! Loved it! I'm just so happy for you and Gerard.. and Mickey too! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. It must be so exciting to start and discover your surroundings.
    One important question though.....Is there a craft shop for buying supplies or will you have to do all that kind of shopping while you are visiting family?
    Glad you had such a fabulous day-x-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hold on to your hat! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos. I especially enjoyed the pics of the standing stones. Good to know that some cottage industries remain despite our mechanised, globalised society,

    ReplyDelete
  12. The stones are amazing, you must be having such a wonderful time discovering it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So amazing!
    The stones, the sheep...what a wonderful day!
    Pretty picture of a sweet friend, too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great, so much to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun day exploring! The mention of digging peat made me remember the books that I read years ago about the Hebrides I think it was. The author was Lillian Beckwith ( maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so happy to see you back posting again!! I honestly have goosebumps for you and how excited you must be to finally be settling into your new home. I will never get tired of seeing all of your photos so keep 'em coming!! I couldn't be happier for you all!! God bless!! xo

    By the way, I sent you an invitation to the new blog. I hope I did it correctly. : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely to see you out and about exploring the Isle. Wonderful to share in your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you had a chance to get away and see sights in your new neck of the woods where you live. Interesting cruciform of stones. Probably the only way you can really see as a cross is from the air. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks fantastic and it sounds like you're having the best time. I'm enjoying seeing it through your photographs. I hope you didn't lose your hat. X

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have a great new place to explore and to enjoy. Love the standing stones and the sheep on the mountainous terrain. Looking forward for more posts from you. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now you just need a ray of sunshine...
    Have a lovely week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am enjoying seeing your new journey ,It looks fabulous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. It all looks so beautiful, I am glad you are living the dream x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Am going to research burning peat. Never heard of it here in the states. Thank you for taking us on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How exciting to get out a bit and explore your new home. Your family looks quite relaxed in their new home! I'm off to google the Callanish stones as they look very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love reading your posts of your adventures! The pictures are great to see. I do like learning about what is going on in your neck of the woods as we say around here.
    My husband does the same thing as your husband. Take a comfy seat and sleep. I saw my Steve right away in that picture.
    Great post.
    Happy Sunday
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  27. lovely! You are being adventurous!! So exciting :) I loved seeing the standing rocks and imaging those sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look so cute up there wearing your hat and scarf. Wonderful that you are getting out to see your new home. Bet your sleep was sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is so much fun to enjoy this time with you! Thanks for sharing. This week I discovered I can watch past episodes of BBC Escape to the Country on Netflix and I have been savoring the gorgeous scenery, snippets of history, and crafts in various parts of the UK. Is that a program you ever watch?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures. How fun! And lovely you with the hat! So happy to see that. Can't wait to see more. xo Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  31. By the way, I love working on family history, and a lot of the family on my mother's side (Henny Penny) came from the Outer Hebrides. Neil McNeill ("the colonizer" they called him), Sarah McKay, Archibald McKay, and Ann Gilchrist are just a few of the names from the 1700s. I am sure I would love it over there. xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another lovely day. These sheep must be in pretty good shape.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. So many interesting aspects of island life on Lewis for you to take in. You must be so excited and happy to be starting out on this new adventure. The standing stones are amazing.

    ReplyDelete