Tuesday 25 June 2019

Made With Love

Another overcast day but at least it is not raining...yet!  I have pegged the washing out on the line and with this brisk wind it should be dry very quickly.  At least its not doing a hoop le hoop around the line today, just blowing almost horizontal.  The weather changes tomorrow according to the forecast, a rise in temperature and sun.  I do hope that they have got it right I yearn for some sun and plan to have a day out to enjoy it.

I have started to make some chive vinegar this morning, picking some beautiful flower heads first thing.  They look amazing soaking in some white wine vinegar.  I came across the idea from Faye Henry at The Blessed Hearth blog, hers looks amazing.


We have yet again an abundance of eggs so a couple of quiches have been made for the freezer and one for lunch.  We have neighbours calling in for lunch today for a catch up.  Beef sausage and black pudding rolls and pork sausage and sage and onion stuffing rolls are also on the menu.





Served with potato salad using potatoes straight from the garden and a lovely green salad.  I am so thankful for the few things we have managed to grow this year and hope that we will be able to grow so much more once the garden room is finished.  The roof is now finished and windows are in the process of been replaced...slow but steady progress.

I have some lavender bags all ready for the seams to be sewn as well as some juggle bags for the children.  I do like to add a homemade gift to their parcels, a little something made with love.




I have just been given a big bag of fleece so that I can have a go at washing dying and spinning, exciting times.  The sheep here on the island are all starting to look a little thinner as they shed their winter coats, shearing has started.  Peat cutting is also underway, such hard work but necessary for the winter weather.

Hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying some sunshine.

See you soon.


32 comments:

  1. Your cooking and baking always looks delicious and makes my mouth water. I think home made gifts are the best, they show you've really thought about the person you're gifting them to, so special. It's throwing it down here today but we're also forecast some sunshine towards the end of the week and into the weekend, fingers crossed it materialises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely makes there, so nice to use your hands to create something so joyful. Daft question alert - is the vinegar for food purposes? I only ask because I keep seeing people steeping things in vinegar for cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is for food, I thought it would be good for a salad dressing.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, that should be lovely, great idea.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you asked that question. I too keep seeing cleaning recipes using white vinegar with sliced orange & lemon soaking for weeks, then strained and poured into spray bottles.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so yum, I also got a chive from my parents garden, so good! Have a lovely day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we had loads of chives, I filled a large jar with just the heads before filling with clear vinegar. After about 2 months, I strained it and bottled. Smelt and tasted wonderful but looked like meths!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made some chive vinegar years ago with the most prime, delicious white wine vinegar. I still love it for its delicious flavor, but am almost out. Perhaps I should consider making more as my chives are also at that stage.

    Your luncheon sounds delicious and so very different from what would be served in my corner. Enjoy catching up with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of chive vinegar but it sounds delicious. Tony would absolutely love any of those savoury goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making chive oil. It's great to cook with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your food looks so delicious and those lavender bags are going to be lovely. The fabric is so pretty. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that fabric combined with the red gingham. So pretty.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  10. I now want to make a quiche and sausage rolls after looking at you mouthwatering photos. Never heard of black pudding going into sausage rolls but I love black pud so am going to give it a try.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what’s going on at your home! The baking looks amazing and makes me hungry! I can’t wait to see what you make with the fleece! Oh those sausage rolls and quiche are looking like dinner to me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chive vinegar sounds interesting. We have so much chive, if I remember, I'll give this a go. Your fine cooking makes me really hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lorraine! The vinegar and chives looks like it would be delicious as does your lunch menu. That quiche and rolls look and sound wonderful. You have some very lucky neighbors.
    How fun that you now have some fleece to play with. I have only had the opportunity to go start to finish with wool once and loved it, although it was a lot of work. :-)
    Your days sound very busy with the roof and windows being done. We had sunshine today but storms and cold are forecast for the next two days. This has been a very strange summer so far.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do you use chive vinegar? I've not heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to use it for salads and marinades.

      Delete
  15. What fun you'll have preparing that fleece for spinning then actually doing it.
    I hope you get some sunshine soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always enjoy my visits with you!
    I wish we were neighbors!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, those are so sweet. Your baking looks incredible. I'm sure you had a wonderful time. What a talented hostess you are!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's all go again in your house, never a full moment! How pretty the chives look in the vinegar and the sausage rolls look delicious. Enjoy your day out before it gets too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've definitely been busy cooking. Wow. I hope you had a good luncheon with your friends. That vinegar jar looks so pretty. We've been dealing with a lot of gloomy weather also, but today is supposed to be sunshine and high temps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your chives flowers are purple while ours are white. Chive vinegar is new to me. Your baking looks so yummy! Beautiful crafts you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  21. my husband would love those rolls!! How is G? I'm nursing a pulled calf/hamstring muscle (I did nothing to cause it...). Thank goodness I can knit!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here it is morning and without having breakfast yet, i am looking at the photos of the quiche and rolls, which look so good😋

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do enjoy quiches - yours looks delicious.

    Your crafts look so good, I'm not very good with a needle and thread … can sew a button on and that's about it!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've not heard of chive vinegar before. Those rolls look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice article my friend..
    please visit my blog too

    ReplyDelete
  26. You must be a wonderful cook. The foods you prepare always look so delicious. I especially like the tomato and onion dish.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your baking does look yummy, lucky visitors. I hope you had a nice time. Your crafted hearts look very pretty. I keep hearing tales of heatwaves. We get the odd sunny day or two, before it changes again. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Busy as a bee, as always. I made some raspberry vinegar once, and it's really nice for making a salad vineagrette. I didn't think of chives. I'll have to try that next year if I get around to growing some.

    ReplyDelete